Chapter I - An independent life since early childhood; a prank that costed dearly (Part 3)

One afternoon a few days later, I stood at my doorstep. It had rained hard several days before, so the local ponds and lakes were all overflowing and stocked with plenty of fish, crabs and shrimps. As a result, cranes, herons, cormorants, teals, coots, wild ducks, pelicans and even parrots from faraway lands had all come to partake of the abundant food. All day long, they quarreled noisily, disputing every tiny shrimp. I could see many skinny egrets, who struggled all day long in the pond but could never get enough to eat. Such is the fate of the weak! I stood watching the setting sun, philosophizing
seriously over the facts of life.


Just then I noticed a cormorant alighting a few steps from where I stood and a wicked idea came into my mind. I called over to  neighbor Choat: "Would you like to have some fun?”

"How so? I’m having an asthma attack at the moment.”

"Just to play a joke on somebody.”

"On who?”

"The big cormorant over there.”

Choat came to his door to take a look and asked: "You mean that big fat female standing a few steps from our doors?”

"Precisely. ”

"My god, no! I can’t afford that. And I would advise you not to either...”


"lVIe! Not to? What are you talking about? I fear nobody, Mister Coward.” I glared at him.

"Then, do it alone, please. I humbly confess that I’m afraid.”

"You weakling! Look, I’m going to play a good joke on her.”

I waited for a favourable moment and then started to sing:


0 comments:

Post a Comment